Porter, Texas

I received an email from Etsy notifying me that my account's email address was changed. I did not make this change, so I clicked on the link to "contact support." Then it asked me to log in to my account.

Whoever hacked into my account and changed the email address also changed the login credentials, so I was unable to log in. He/She also had already charged over $300 to the credit card saved to my account!

I messaged Etsy about the problem (couldn't find a phone number) and they have yet to get back to me. Had to cancel the card with the bank to prevent further charges.

Product or Service Mentioned: Etsy Account.

Etsy Pros: Variety of products offered, Dealing directly with craftsmen.

Etsy Cons: No phone number to contact them, Support.

Comments

I just woke up to emails saying someone changed my account password then changed the email address associated with my account. I'm pretty sure about 5-6 years ago the same thing happened.

Why is there no verification of the previous email address? They've set it up in a way that makes it insanely easy for people to just steal your account!

Yes, I too got hacked on Etsy and eBay. I tried all types of security measures, but was constantly hacked on Etsy.

I finally closed my account and now am suspended from Etsy because I violated some rule of theirs and they won't even tell me which one.

I had changed my emails often trying to lose this hacker. I now sell on Amazon and have great seller support there.

Same exact thing just happened to me last Sunday (7/29/17). Got emails saying 1.

my password was changed and 2. my email was updated. Wasn't me! I was able to sign in using Facebook but could not close my account or change the email address back (both required a password.

Luckily I was able to enable 2-factor authentication so that prevented additional sign ins by the fraudsters (I received 3 security codes on my phone proving they were still trying to get in). They had placed 2 orders and followed up with the sellers with a BS excuse why they needed the product shipped to Indonesia. Luckily I was able to cancel and contact the sellers with an explanation. Emailed Etsy in the middle of all this - still no reply 3 days later.

Requested a call back through one of their support pages, nothing. Tried twitter @Etsyhelp and nothing there either.

@Anonymous

Mine was hacked as well and I had $2,000 worth of ugly sneakers and jewelry ordered in my name! Thankfully my credit card company is very customer oriented and disputed the charges, but Etsy has been no help whatsoever. Now I just want to close my account, but I can't because the hacker changed everything.

First Born Triplet

Contact the police for credit card fraud

h.kitchener

This is why it is not a good idea to store your credit card on most sites. Amazon.com is safe, but most others are rather "iffy."